Practice / Experience
Mr. Preece is one of the founding partners of Corr Cronin Michelson Baumgardner & Preece LLP, which was formed in 1999. He was a partner and member at Bogle & Gates P.L.L.C. for 14 years prior to Corr Cronin.
Mr. Preece is a trial lawyer whose primary focus is legal malpractice litigation, employment litigation and complex commercial litigation representing businesses and individuals. He has tried cases before administrative law judges, administrative boards, state and federal judges, juries, and appellate courts.
Mr. Preece has been selected as a Super Lawyer© by the publication Washington Law & Politics. He has been selected as one of Seattle’s Top Lawyers© by Seattle Magazine. Seattle Business Monthly selected Mr. Preece as one of the five top employment litigators in the Pacific Northwest. Seattle Metropolitan Magazine selected him as one of Seattle's top commercial litigators and top employment attorney. Mr. Preece has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America. The publication Benchmark: America's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys selected Mr. Preece as Local Litigation Star. He received the highest A/V professional rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
Education / Background
- J.D., cum laude, Seattle University School of Law, 1985
- Note and Comment Editor, Law Review, 1984-85
- American Jurisprudence Awards in Torts and Evidence
- Academic Achievement Scholarships
- B.A., English Literature, cum laude, Washington State University, 1981
Representative Legal Malpractice Litigation
- AIH Holdings, Ltd. v. Boehm, et al. – Defended an established mid-sized Seattle law firm against fraud claims arising from a failed multi-million dollar acquisition; obtained a complete dismissal of all claims in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- VersusLaw, Inc. v. Multiple Defendants – Defended one of the largest law firms in the Pacific Northwest and individual attorney defendants against claims of legal malpractice arising from a failed licensing relationship and underlying arbitration proceeding; obtained a summary judgment for all defendants dismissing the plaintiff’s $12 million claim.
- Behr Process v. Multiple Defendants – Defended a prominent Seattle law firm against claims of legal malpractice arising from a consumer class action trial; the Plaintiff sought in excess of $30 million in damages; obtained a dismissal with prejudice of all legal malpractice claims against the defendant law firm.
Representative Employment Litigation
- Baruffi v. Merit Capital Management – Defended a hedge fund against a former employee’s claim for a significant bonus based upon the fund’s annual performance; obtained a summary judgment dismissing all claims based upon the statute of frauds; affirmed 3-0 by the Washington Court of Appeals; see Baruffi v. Merit Capital Management, L.L.C., Washington Court of Appeals, Division I, Cause No. 51274-9-I, unpublished opinion filed on May 12, 2003.
- Alaiyan v. Insightful Corporation – Defended a business software firm against claims by a former employee that the termination of his employment was wrongful and violated public policy; obtained a dismissal of all claims on summary judgment; affirmed 3-0 by the Washington Court of Appeals; see Alaiyan v. Insightful Corporation, Washington Court of Appeals, Division I, Cause No. 53627-3-I, unpublished opinion filed on June 13, 2005.
- Blackwood, et al. v. Providence Health Plan – Defense counsel in multi-plaintiff litigation involving age discrimination, retaliation, and wage and hour claims.
- Patsfield v. National Car Rental, Inc. – Defense counsel in litigation involving wrongful termination, harassment and retaliation claims.
- Stratton v. Safeway, Inc. – Lead defense counsel in race discrimination and sexual harassment litigation.
- Cook v. Safeway, Inc., et al. – Lead defense counsel in employment litigation involving disability, hostile work environment and age discrimination claims.
- Blank v. Albertson’s, Inc. – Lead defense counsel in sexual harassment litigation.
- Kisler, et al. v. Inflation Systems, Inc. – Lead counsel in employment litigation involving wrongful termination, sexual harassment, and age discrimination claims.
- Dodds v. Recreational Equipment, Inc. – Lead counsel involving defense of wrongful termination claim.
- Dowell v. Albertson’s, Inc. – Lead defense counsel in race discrimination litigation.
- Wright v. Pierce County Housing Authority, et al. – Lead defense counsel in race discrimination and due process lawsuit.
- Olson, et al. v. Pierce County Housing Authority, et al. – Lead defense counsel in lawsuit involving retaliation claims.
Representative Commercial Litigation
- Cosmos Development Corp. – Lead trial counsel for land use and environmental litigation concerning residential subdivision on Lake Washington). See Union Bay Preservation Coalition v. Cosmos Dev. Corp., 127 Wn.2d 614 (1995).
- Security State Bank – Defense counsel in leading lender liability case in Washington). See Badgett v. Security State Bank, 116 Wn.2d 563 (1991).
- Olympic Pipe Line Co. – Numerous matters involving a broad range of issues related to pipeline operations and environmental concerns, including lead trial counsel for the Cross Cascade Pipeline Project.
- Lloyd Enterprises, Inc. – Lead trial counsel for sand and gravel mining company in litigation involving DNR mining permits and municipal land use permits.
- Provider Services, Inc. – Lead counsel for several health care matters, including software licensing dispute.
- Puget Sound Physicians Association – Lead counsel for health care association involving contractual and insurance related claims.
- Todd Shipyards – Defense counsel for insurance coverage litigation involving Superfund sites in Washington.
- Trans Mountain Pipe Line Co. – Trial counsel for pipeline siting appeals in state and local jurisdictions.
- Eagle Hardware & Garden, Inc. – Trial counsel for land use and permit litigation on siting, environmental and zoning issues.
- McDonald’s Corp. – Lead trial counsel for land use permit appeal regarding conditions of approval and environmental mitigation.
- Weyerhaeuser Co. – Real estate and easement litigation regarding sites in King and Pierce counties.
- Tewalt, Inc. – Lead trial counsel involving permitting, environmental and archeological appeals concerning rock quarry siting and operations.
- Sportmart, Inc. – Trial counsel in lease litigation involving site acquisition and terms for “big-box” sporting goods retailer.
- Seafirst Bank – Lead counsel in real property litigation involving assets held by trustees.
- General Electric Company – Defense counsel in product liability litigation involving marine engines and alleged wrongful death.
- Washington State Bar Association, 1985 to present
- United States District Court of Washington, Western District and Eastern District, 1985 to present
- King County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
← Back ↑ Top